Corrections to C# and Smalltalk case study #1

I’ve uploaded some corrections to both the C# and Smalltalk versions of my first case study of these two. I’ve put up a new C# version. The old one is still there (and can be referenced from the post I just linked to). The link to the new version is below. I’ve replaced the Smalltalk code with a new version.

Edit 10/18/2017: I’ve hosted the code samples on DropBox. DropBox will say that the files cannot be previewed, but it will display a blue “Download” button. Click that to download each zip file.

Case study code

C# EmployeeTest

Smalltalk Employees-Test package

I was inspired to make these changes by a blogger’s scathing post on my case study (Update 5-24-2013: This blog has apparently disappeared). By the way, if you want to see what this same app. would look like using C#/.Net 2.0, read his code. My code is in C#/.Net 1.x. Leaving aside his pompous language, he found a bug in my C# exception code in the Employee class, which I’ve fixed, and he found that I was using overly complex code to convert some of the data to strings. As I said in my defense, “My C#-fu is not what it used to be.” I’ve optimized those places. I also changed the exception’s message so it’s more descriptive.

He criticized the way I named things. He had some good suggestions for changing the names of things, which I have not followed here. I figured I should fix the bug and the needlessly complex code, but I wasn’t going to rewrite the app. I want to move on. I’ll try to be more conscious of how I name things in code in the future.

The only change I made to the Smalltalk code was making the exception message (for the same reason as in the C# code) more descriptive.

The end result of doing this was in terms of lines of code, the C# code and the Smalltalk code came out virtually the same in size. The Smalltalk code increased to 71 LOC (from 70), and the C# code decreased from 75 LOC to 73. The difference in size is statistically insignificant now. I haven’t bothered to look, but maybe C#/.Net 2.0 would’ve required less LOC than the Smalltalk solution in this case. As I said in my first post, this was not a straight line-of-code count. I used certain criteria which I discussed in my first post on this (at the first link in this post).

I think what this exercise put into relief is that there are certain problems that a dynamic language and a statically typed language are equally good at solving. What I’ll be exploring the next time I feel inspired to do this is if there are problems Smalltalk solves better than C# can.

Edit 9/29/2015: Since writing this, I lost interest in doing such comparisons. I think the reason is I realized I’m not skilled at doing this sort of thing. I had the idea at the time that I wanted to somehow apply Smalltalk to business cases. I’m less interested in doing such things now. I’ve been applying myself toward studying language/VM architecture. Perhaps at some point I’ll revisit issues like this.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s